Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT Reviews (1)
- Good Shepherd Lutheran College is now an authorised school of the International Baccalaureate MYP, seeking authorisation for the PYP in 2013
- Australia has had Lutheran schools ever since the first Lutheran settlers arrived in South Australia from Germany in 1839. Even before the SA government became formally involved in education, Lutheran communities established their own schools because they were concerned about the future of their children. They wanted to provide for the growth of their children spiritually, intellectually, socially and physically.
- The Lutheran school system has since grown to be one of the largest networks of independent schools in Australia, currently educating about 30,000 students in over 85 schools. Good Shepherd Lutheran College is the fourth Lutheran School in the Northern Territory and the second in the Top End.
- The concept for the school emerged in late 1995 and led to the forming of a school task force made up of members from both Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - Palmerston and St Andrew Lutheran Church - Nightcliff. This group recognised from its beginning the need for alternative education for the growing Palmerston community.
- The College is located on the corner of Temple Terrace and Emery Avenue - Gray, a suburb in the heart of Palmerston. Title for the 2.2-hectare block was granted in January 1997.
- In January of 2007 Good Shepherd Lutheran College was created with the addition of Year 8s and the split within the College to two sub-schools – a Primary School and Middle School. In 2008 the Middle School moved to a new Campus in Howard Springs. This campus also contains the Senior School, which opened in 2009.
- The College is incorporated as the Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT Inc, and is managed under the auspices of the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, (Palmerston) congregation. Good Shepherd Lutheran Church is a member congregation of the parish of the Top End Lutheran Church, which is itself part of the Lutheran Church of Australia
- Good Shepherd Lutheran College has a distinctive sub-school structure that allows for a seamless education from Transition to Year 12. A holistic approach allows students to develop in a supportive atmosphere.
- The College aims to provide an educational pathway for each student that empowers them to develop as successful learners and valuable members of the wider community. The program is founded on strong Christian values, enabling students to develop an understanding of the richness of life through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.
- Staff members of Good Shepherd Lutheran College share a vision of working with parents to support their children as they grow and develop. While offering support, teachers encourage students to take responsibility for their own decisions and to form their own attitudes and opinions about life.
- Opportunities are provided for students to learn life skills outside the classroom through extra curricula programs. These allow students to become involved in a range of activities and provide experiences in a variety of cultural and physical activities.
ABN: 67 867 915 909
About Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT
Good Shepherd Lutheran College is now the largest school in the Northern Territory with three thriving campuses in Leanyer, Palmerston and Howard Springs. This Early Learning Centre to Year 12 College is a one-stop shop for dynamic education and an extremely well reputed Pastoral Care program. The latter is perhaps what makes it the number one choice for parents seeking a quality, Christian and engaging education for their children.
The College has an Early Learning Centre (ELC) at both the St Andrew Campus in Leanyer which caters for 3-4 year old children and the Howard Springs Campus, which caters for 4 year old children. The College is an International Baccalaureate World School; offering both the Primary Years and Middle Years Programmes. They also offer NTCET programs for senior students.
St Andrew Campus: ELC – Year 5
Palmerston Campus: Transition – Year 5
Howard Springs Campus: ELC – Year 3 & Years 6-12
Good Shepherd is committed to providing excellence in education, embracing the wellbeing of all students whilst aiming to develop active, knowledgeable and compassionate students, who understand they have a responsibility to the communities to which they belong. The College does this through providing effective educational pathways, opportunities for service to others and a strong, community recognised and valued Pastoral Care program. Good Shepherd is proud to convey its strong Mission Statement:
‘With Christ at our centre we equip students to become flourishing, knowledgeable and compassionate people who enrich the lives of others with a serving heart’
Good Shepherd works collaboratively with parents to ensure that their children become confident learners with a passion for life-long learning, with an acceptance of who they are and where their strengths lie. The College provides a caring, supportive community, emphasising the importance of positive relationship building and treating others with respect – it is simply central to the way they act. The principle of Grace in Action is central to who they are as a Lutheran college.
The College is at the cutting edge of Positive Education which is the application of the psychology of optimal functioning and wellbeing. Research has shown that programs founded on Positive Psychology can bring about measureable improvement in psychological, emotional and physical health, academic outcomes, wellbeing and life satisfaction, and buffer against anxiety and depression which is an increasing feature of our society. They are proud to be one of a handful of schools across Australia with this approach to education.
Good Shepherd has a comprehensive website and Facebook page, with regular updates regarding Open Days and Principal’s Tours. The College also has a recently launched App – Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT. Should more information on any of the College’s three campuses be required, please do not hesitate to make contact.
You can also find Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT here