Caroona is a small village within the local government area of the Liverpool Plains Shire in New South Wales. It is situated on the Quirindi-Coonabarabran road, with road links to Pine Ridge and Werris Creek. The Mookie River, a perennial stream that is part of the Namoi Catchment, is near the town of Caroona. The river was explored by John Oxley in 1818. It was called “Mooki” by the Aboriginal tribes in the lower reaches. Walhallow is also near the village, about 2 kilometres to the north, but it is considered as part of a different shire. It was a former Aboriginal reserve and was also previously called “Caroona Mission.” It was gazetted in 1895 and covers an area of 230 acres.