Segenhoe is a town within the local government area of the Upper Hunter Shire Council in the Upper Hunter region of New South Wales. The shire was the result of the amalgamation of the Scone Shire and some parts of the Murrurundi and Merriwa shire in May 2004. The small town of Segenhoe was named by Thomas Potter Macqueen in 1824. Within five years, the town had a post office, hospital, police station, schoolhouse and church. It is most famous for the Segenhoe Group, a first class stud farm that features a long stretch of Hunter River frontage. The property has access to 1,300 mega litres of water every year and features a rehabilitation complex known as the Segenhoe Spelling Complex.